Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mistakes and Translations

The first edition has beenof course the Italian one. Because of the very tight schedule for the official presentation of the book, due for November 19, 2005, the fnal revision before printing has been left to the company making the impagination.
Unfortunately, this has left some typing mistakes in the text, as well as a paragraph duplication in Chapter 7.1, that has been handled by a small "errata corrige" paper inserted in all copies of the book.
By the way, there are no signifcant errors in the text, and the content is clearly undertandable in all its parts, even in presence of the already mentioned typing mistakes.

The second edition has been the English one. Translation has been handled by my friends and archers Stephen Avis, David Baron and Gaia Banchelli, as well as by myself. Stephen and David are British citizens living in Italy since many years, and have both learned to shoot (recurve) in Italy; Gaia is Italian but she works for a multinational american company and has lived in USA for a while. Dave (David) has also been the translator to English of several of my articles published in the past by Archery Focus magazine and others.
The final complete text has been assembled by myself and then revised in collegial session with all the four translators, were we have finalized chapter by chapter all the details and "real" interpretations of the various parts, with a lot of care to the transfer of the "meaning behind" to the English text, and to the respect of the two different ways of writing (Michele's and mine) . A lot of discussion, for instance, has been neded to finalize the so called "nehologism" (hope the english word is right) "sighters", supposed translation of the italian neholgism "miratori"...... Difficult to translate a previously unexisting word, believe me!
The text after impagination and before printing has been revised by all us again, so I had to suppose that the final printed book is as perfect as possible... But I have already found a couple of typing mistakes in the printing drafts, so I'm sure other will be found later, when more will read it. Sorry, but this is the best we have been able to do....

The third edition has been the French one. My French is just sufficient for simple conversation, but when I go to writing, I'm very far from an acceptable level, while anyhow I can read French quite well. Unfortunately, in my club there are no French mother tongue persons, so no way to follow the same procedure used for the English edition. Finally, because of the time very short, considering that the French edition had to be printed at the same time as the Englsh one, if I wanted to get it on sale during the Nimes 2006 international tournament on January 28, I have decided to use a professional translator.
I think that the lady that has made the translation has done a very good job, but of course the point was that she did not know anything about archery and archery terms in the French language. Fortunately, I have been able to get a fantastic help to finalize the French text by Sandrine Vandionnant, that has dedicated a lot of time to "re- translate" the translation form litteral one to an "archery" one, and I have for sure improved a lot my knowledge of the French specific terms for archery in the process. Believe me, "Band" for "Bracing" and "Lacher" for "Release" have been among the gretest surprises.... The final impagination has been then read again by myself, Sandrine and the original translator, so I hope what readers will get is a quite good reliable French version of the original Italian.

Few days ago our friend Andreas Lorenz has told me that he already has some pages translated to German Language. So from here the problem will start. For the German edition I will have much more troubles, as I don't speak or understand at all that language. I'll have therefore to find someone that will help Andreas to check the translation when done, and I'll have to trust those doing the job without possibility to intervene directly. Ok, this is the case for many other activities, so I will ave to deal with it in some ways... German edition will be probably on schedule, and in the market by the end of April.

Mr. Yoshi Komatzu, famous photographer and editor of the Japanese magazine "The Archer", will translate by himself the book starting from the English version. He has already translated in the past some of my articles from English to Japanese for his magazine, and I really trust his competence and passion in archery, so I'm sre the result will be good, even if of course I will never been able to read it. Japanese language is for my next life, not for the present one. Japanese version will be available just after the coming summer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you mean neologism. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neologism

A blog for the book is an execellent idea.

Vittorio Frangilli said...

Thanks ... for help and comment.

Anonymous said...

As the title is Mistakes and Translations then wrt the English version some (hopefully constructive) criticism.

Despite a lot of work clearly having gone into the translation the book is short of a thorough proof reading. A fair number of mistakes in spelling and the translation sometimes incorrect (wrong word or wrong meaning). Understanding may be difficult in some cases if English not your first language.

No doubt all will be corrected by the third edition. :) The content of the book is of course superb so criticism with a small c.

Vittorio Frangilli said...

Joe T, mistakes in spelling are the salt of any book ... but what makes me curious is to get your list of wrong words or wrong meanings.. I'll let then Stephen and Dave discuss about their knowledge of their own language ;-))

Anonymous said...

For example p26
"If the proceeding shot was...."
should be "if the subsequent (or following/next etc) shot is...".

"Proceeding" has different meaning and verb tense confusing.

Vittorio Frangilli said...

Sorry, joe, but this is simple typing mistake . Shoud read "the preceeding shot", ... surely not the subsequent one, otherwise the full procedure goes to no meaning...